- To derange is defined as to unsettle something or to make insane.
- An example of to derange is to change the pattern of a child’s day.
- An example of to derange is to drive someone crazy.
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
transitive verb de·ranged, de·rang·ing, de·rang·es
- To disturb the order or arrangement of.
- To upset the normal condition or functioning of.
- To disturb mentally; make insane.
Origin: French déranger, from Old French desrengier : des-, de- + reng, line (of Germanic origin; see sker-2 in Indo-European roots).
- de·rangeˈment noun