- Disconcert is defined as to embarrass or frustrate.
An example of disconcert is for a person to upset her best friend by telling her secret to everyone.
- to frustrate (plans, etc.)
- to upset the composure of; embarrass; confuse
Origin: Old French desconcerter: see dis- and amp; concert
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
transitive verb dis·con·cert·ed, dis·con·cert·ing, dis·con·certs
- To upset the self-possession of; ruffle. See Synonyms at embarrass.
- To frustrate (plans, for example) by throwing into disorder; disarrange.
Origin: Obsolete French disconcerter, from Old French desconcerter : des-, dis- + concerter, to bring into agreement (from Old Italian concertare; see concert).
- disˌcon·certˈing·ly adverb