Variant of community
- all the people living in a particular district, city, etc.
- the district, city, etc. where they live
- a group of people forming a smaller social unit within a larger one, and sharing common interests, work, identity, location, etc.: a college community, the labor community
- a group of nations loosely or closely associated because of common traditions or for political or economic advantage
- society in general; the public
- ownership or participation in common: community of goods
- similarity; likeness: community of tastes
- the condition of living with others
- friendly association; fellowship
- Ecol. biocenosis
Origin: Middle English and amp; Old French communite ; from Classical Latin communitas, community, fellowship ; from communis, common
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.