- The definition of commerce means the buying and selling goods on a large scale or social relations.
- An example of commerce is trade between two countries.
- An example of commerce is the social or intellectual exchanges amongst a group of friends.
commerce definition by Webster's New World
- the buying and selling of goods, esp. when done on a large scale between cities, states, or countries; trade
- social intercourse
- Rare sexual intercourse
Origin: French ; from Classical Latin commercium ; from com-, together plush merx, merchandise: see market
commerce definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The buying and selling of goods, especially on a large scale, as between cities or nations. See Synonyms at business.
- Intellectual exchange or social interaction.
- Sexual intercourse.
Origin: French, from Old French, from Latin commercium : com-, com- + merx, merc-, merchandise.
commerce - Legal Definition