commerce[käm′ərs; for v., kə mʉrs′]
- The definition of commerce means the buying and selling goods on a large scale or social relations.
- An example of commerce is trade between two countries.
- An example of commerce is the social or intellectual exchanges amongst a group of friends.
- the buying and selling of goods, esp. when done on a large scale between cities, states, or countries; trade
- social intercourse
- Rare sexual intercourse
Origin of commerceFrench ; from Classical Latin commercium ; from com-, together + merx, merchandise: see market
- The buying and selling of goods, especially on a large scale, as between cities or nations. See Synonyms at business.
- Intellectual exchange or social interaction.
- Sexual intercourse.
Origin of commerceFrench, from Old French, from Latin commercium : com-, com- + merx, merc-, merchandise.
(countable and uncountable, plural commerces)
- (business) The exchange or buying and selling of commodities; especially the exchange of merchandise, on a large scale, between different places or communities; extended trade or traffic.
- Social intercourse; the dealings of one person or class in society with another; familiarity.
- A round game at cards, in which the cards are subject to exchange, barter, or trade.
(third-person singular simple present commerces, present participle commercing, simple past and past participle commerced)
- (dated) To carry on trade; to traffic.
- Beware you commerce not with bankrupts. -B. Jonson.
- (dated) To hold intercourse; to commune.
- Commercing with himself. -Tennyson.
- Musicians ... taught the people in angelic harmonies to commerce with heaven. -Prof. Wilson.
commerce - Legal Definition
The exchange of goods, materials, products, and services or the travel of people.foreign commerce
Commerce that involves the transport of goods, materials, products, services, or people across international boundaries.interstate commerce
Commerce that involves the transport of goods, materials, products, services, and people within the United States but across state boundaries.intrastate commerce
Commerce that completely takes place within the boundaries of a state.