- The definition of chose is the past form of choose and means to have made a selection.
An example of chose is someone saying they picked the best pumpkin in the patch.
He chose this pumpkin.
Origin of choseOld French thing ; from Classical Latin causa, matter, affair
Origin of choseFrench, from Latin causa, thing, case, reason.
- Simple past tense of choose.
Variant of choose
transitive verbchose, chosen, choosing
- to pick out by preference from what is available; take as a choice; select: to choose a book at the library
- to decide or prefer: with an infinitive object: to choose to remain
Origin of chooseMiddle English chesen, cheosen ; from Old English ceosan ; from Indo-European base an unverified form ĝeus-, to taste, relish from source Classical Latin gustare, Gothic kausjan
- to make one's selection
- to have the desire or wish; please: do as you choose
cannot choose but