- Optimism is the state of being cheerful or hopeful about the future and about the world around you.
An example of optimism is when you are in a bad situation, but you remain cheerful and confident it will all turn out right in the end.
- the doctrine held by Leibniz and others that the existing world is the best possible
- the doctrine or belief that good ultimately prevails over evil
- the tendency to take the most hopeful or cheerful view of matters or to expect the best outcome
Origin of optimismFrench optimisme ; from Classical Latin optimus, best: see optimum
- A tendency to expect the best possible outcome or dwell on the most hopeful aspects of a situation.
- Philosophy a. The doctrine, asserted by Leibniz, that this world is the best of all possible worlds.b. The belief that the universe is improving and that good will ultimately triumph over evil.
Origin of optimismFrench optimisme, from New Latin optimum, the greatest good; see optimum.
(usually uncountable, plural optimisms)