- the jaws
- the mouth and lower cheeks
- ☆ Slang technical skill, esp. of a jazz or rock musician
Origin: see chap
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The jaws.
- a. The mouth.b. The lower cheeks or jowls.c. Muttonchops.
- Slang The technical skill with which a jazz or rock musician performs.
Origin: Possibly akin to chop1.
chops - Phrases/IdiomsThe American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
bust (someone's) chops
- To scold or insult someone.
- To disappoint or defeat someone.
- To hold a building contractor to the letter of an agreement.