chopping blockchop·ping block
a block of hardwood on which meat and vegetables are cut up in food preparation
A wooden block on which food or wood is chopped.
(plural chopping blocks)
- A wooden slab used as a cutting surface for food etc.
- (historical, informal) A block of wood against which a condemned person put their head prior to beheading.
- (by extension) A dangerous predicament or situation.
- Jim really put his head on the chopping block when he started flirting with the boss's daughter.
- A situation in which someone or something is threatened with elimination.