- The definition of alternative is something that is a possible selection.
The route you decided to take is an example of an alternative route.
- Alternative is defined as something that does not conform to existing or mainstream standards.
Acupuncture is an example of an alternative medical treatment.
- An alternative is defined as an option.
Corn as a side dish to an entree is an example of an alternative.
alternative definition by Webster's New World
- providing or being a choice between two or among more than two things: alternative routes
- designating or of an institution, enterprise, etc. that appeals to unconventional or nontraditional interests: an alternative school
Origin: Midieval Latin alternativus: see alternate
- a choice between two or among more than two things
- either or one of the things to be chosen
- something remaining to be chosen: is there an alternative to going?
- alternatively adverb
alternative definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. The choice between two mutually exclusive possibilities.b. A situation presenting such a choice.c. Either of these possibilities. See Synonyms at choice.
- Usage Problem One of a number of things from which one must be chosen.
- Allowing or necessitating a choice between two or more things.
- a. Existing outside traditional or established institutions or systems: an alternative lifestyle.b. Espousing or reflecting values that are different from those of the establishment or mainstream: an alternative newspaper; alternative greeting cards.
- Usage Problem Substitute or different; other.
- al·terˈna·tive·ly adverb