- filled by election: an elective office
- chosen by election; elected
- of or based on election
- having the power to choose
- that may be chosen but is not required; optional
- Now Rare having or referring to a tendency to attract or combine with certain substances in preference to others
Origin of electiveMiddle English ; from Late Latin electivus
- Of or relating to a selection by vote.
- Filled or obtained by election: elective office.
- Having the power or authority to elect; electoral.
- Permitting or involving a choice; optional: elective surgery.
(comparative more elective, superlative most elective)
- Something that is option or that may be elected, especially a course of tertiary study.