- The definition of tony is slang and means stylish or luxurious.
An example of something tony is a brand new luxury vehicle.
- Tony is a man's name, or a Tony is an award given annually in the U.S. for special achievements in the theater.
- An example of Tony is a nickname for Anthony.
- An example of a Tony is an award for best theater actor.
nounpl. -·nys or -·nies
Origin of Tonyfrom Tony Awards, a service mark, after Antoinette Perry (1888-1946), United States theatrical figure
adjectiveton·i·er, ton·i·est Informal
Origin of tonyFrom tone
(comparative tonier, superlative toniest)
tone (“to utter with an affected tone") +"Ž -y
- (archaic) A simpleton.
From the name Tony.
- TonyÂ® is the registered trademark of the American Theatre Wing, Inc.
- Tony Blair was so vain that all he could think about was the glory of the opening ceremony.
- He made a solemn pledge to keep the promises Tony Blair has broken over the last four years.
- "Tony here will take you out of the catacombs," Charlie said, returning his attention to them.
- I tried to get him to call Tony but he said he was just running it by me.
- Tony will go north.