An example of term is to name a newly discovered organism.
An example of term is "cultural diversity."
An example of term is three months for a college semester.
An example of term is a contract clause that says that payment must be paid by a cashier's check.
“tergum” is a zoological term.
Offered favorable peace terms; one of the terms of the lease; the terms of a divorce settlement.
On good terms with her in-laws.
- A division of a school year, as a semester or quarter, during which a course of studies is given.
- The stipulated duration of an appointment to a particular office.Elected to a four-year term.
- The normal elapsed period for birth after conception; also, delivery at the end of this period; parturition.
On speaking terms.
A technical term.
To speak in derogatory terms.
We are on friendly terms with each other.
- As measured or indicated by; in units of:.Distances expressed in terms of kilometers as well as miles; cheap entertainment, but costly in terms of time wasted.
- In relation to; with reference to:.
- To reduce to submission; force to agree.
- To arrive at an agreement or accommodation.
- By means of.
- With reference to.
Origin of term
- Middle English terme from Old French from Latin terminus boundary N., senses 4–8, from Middle English from Medieval Latin terminus from Late Latin mathematical or logical term from Latin boundary, limit
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition