- to happen or issue as a consequence or effect: often with from: floods resulting from heavy rains
- to end as a consequence (in something): heavy rains resulting in floods
Origin of resultMiddle English resulten from Medieval Latin resultare from L, to spring back, rebound, frequentative of resilire, to leap back: see resile
- anything that comes about as a consequence or outcome of some action, process, etc.
- [pl.] the consequence or consequences desired
- the number, quantity, etc. obtained by mathematical calculation; answer to a problem