- a military unit composed of two or more squads or sections, normally under the command of a lieutenant: it is a subdivision of a company, troop, etc.
- a group or unit like this: a platoon of police
- Sports any of the specialized squads (as the offensive and defensive squads in professional football) constituting a single team
Origin of platoonFrench peloton, a ball, group, platoon from Old French pelote, a ball: see pellet
- to divide into platoons, or use as or on a platoon
- Sports to alternate (players) at a position: to platoon two rookies in right field
- to be alternated with another player at a position
- to platoon players at a position