- anything that nourishes; food; nutriment
- the act or process of raising or promoting the development of; training, educating, fostering, etc.also nur′tur·ance
- all the environmental factors, collectively, to which one is subjected from conception onward, as distinguished from one's nature or heredity
Origin of nurtureMiddle English from Old French norreture from Late Latin nutritura, past participle of Classical Latin nutrire, to nourish: see nurse
transitive verb-·tured, -·tur·ing
- to feed or nourish
- to promote the development of
- to raise by educating, training, etc.