An example of name is for parents to choose to call their newborn Adam.
An example of name is Paul.
A name performer.
Joined several famous names for a photograph.
We need to name the time for our meeting.
Named the primary colors.
His ineffable name.
The last of his name.
The greatest name in science.
A name brand.
Name tags worn at a convention.
Name all the oceans.
A democracy in name, a police state in fact.
Named the child after both grandparents.
Named them all cowards.
- By the authority of:Open up in the name of the law!.
- For the reason of; using as a reason:Grisly experiments performed in the name of science.
- Belonging to one:I don't have a hat to my name.
- to use insulting or abusive names in attacking someone
- having the title or appearance but not actually; nominally; ostensibly
- in appeal or reference to
- by the authority of; as the representative of
- as belonging to
- to be familiar with the name of but not know personally
- to identify specific persons, esp. as doing wrong
- belonging to oneBut one suit of clothes to his name.
Idioms and Phrasal Verbs
Origin of name
- Middle English from Old English nama nō̆-men- in Indo-European roots
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition