Origin of erroneousMiddle English from Classical Latin erroneus, wandering about from errare: see err
The definition of erroneous is something that is incorrect or in error.
An example of an erroneous statement is that the earth is flat.
Containing or derived from error; mistaken: erroneous conclusions.
Origin of erroneousMiddle English from Latin errōneus from errō errōn- a vagabond from errāre to err, wander ; see ers- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more erroneous, superlative most erroneous)
- Nouns to which "erroneous" is often applied: impression, assumption, belief, conclusion, statement, idea, data, view, opinion, judgment, notion, decision, interpretation, diagnosis, conception, theory, reading, instruction, ruling, assessment, doctrine, advice, value, application, thinking, perception, principle, concept, action, description, record, determination, teaching, inference, premise, conviction, reasoning, argument, exclusion, calculation, inclusion, treatment, deductions, analysis.
From Old French and Latin erroneus
- He was accused of erroneous doctrine, and the Spanish viceroy of Naples prohibited his preaching.
- Indeed, he never shook off the erroneous ideas of his time regarding the paths of projectiles, further than to see that no part of them could be a straight line.
- These fossils, which are now in the British Museum, were interpreted by Dr Mantell, who made comparisons with the skeleton of Iguana, on the erroneous supposition that the resemblance in the teeth denoted some relationship to this existing lizard.
- With much of the essay he entirely agreed, but he thought the exposition in so many ways defective and calculated to create an erroneous impression, that he prefaced it with a short paper On the Grounds of our Belief in a Divine Government of the Universe, in which God is defined as the moral order of the universe, the eternal law of right which is the foundation of all our being.
- By the 13th of June he had learnt the truth, and sailed for Gibraltar under the erroneous impression that the French admiral would return to Toulon.