- of, created by, based upon, or authorized by law
- in conformity with the positive rules of law; permitted by law: a legal act
- that can be enforced in a court of law: legal rights
- of or applicable to lawyers: legal ethics
- in terms of the law: a legal offense
- Informal at or above the statutory age at which one may, variously, consent to sexual intercourse, purchase alcoholic beverages, etc.
Origin of legalMiddle French légal from Classical Latin legalis from lex (gen. legis), law, probably from Indo-European base an unverified form le?-, to collect from source Classical Latin legere, Classical Greek legein, to collect