- the doing of something; state of being in motion or of working
- an act or thing done
- [pl.] behavior; habitual conduct
- habitual activity characterized by energy and boldness: a man of action
- the effect produced by something: the action of a drug
- the way of moving, working, etc., as of a machine, an organ of the body, etc.
- the moving parts or mechanism, as of a gun, piano, etc.
- the sequence of happenings in a story or play; plot
- any of such happenings
- such happenings when exciting
- a legal proceeding by which one seeks to have a wrong put right; lawsuit
- a military encounter
- military combat in general
- the appearance of animation in a painting, sculpture, etc.
- Slang activity or excitement, specif.,
- gambling activity
- sexual activity
Origin of actionMiddle English accion from Old French action from Classical Latin actio from past participle of agere: see act
- to become active
- to start a lawsuit