- The definition of a woman is an adult female human.
An example of a woman is Michelle Obama.
woman definition by Webster's New World
- the female human being
- women collectively
- an adult female human being
- a female servant
- Dialectal a wife
- a sweetheart or a mistress
- womanly qualities or characteristics; femininity: the woman in her
Origin: Middle English wumman ; from Old English wimmann ; from wifmann ; from wif, female, wife plush mann, human being, man: rounding of vowel due to influenced, influence of the initial w-
- of or characteristic of a woman or women; feminine
- female: a woman scientist
woman definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. wom·en
- An adult female human.
- Women considered as a group; womankind: “Woman feels the invidious distinctions of sex exactly as the black man does those of color” (Elizabeth Cady Stanton).
- An adult female human belonging to a specified occupation, group, nationality, or other category. Often used in combination: an Englishwoman; congresswoman; a saleswoman.
- Feminine quality or aspect; womanliness.
- A female servant or subordinate.
- Informal a. A wife.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English wimman, variant of wīfman : wīf, woman; see ghwībh- in Indo-European roots + man, person; see man.
- womˈan·less adjective
woman - Phrases/Idioms
the little woman
the other woman
(one's) own woman
to a woman