- The definition of a woman is an adult female human.
An example of a woman is Michelle Obama.
- the female human being
- women collectively
- an adult female human being
- a female servant
- Dialectal a wife
- a sweetheart or a mistress
- womanly qualities or characteristics; femininity: the woman in her
Origin of womanMiddle English wumman ; from Old English wimmann ; from wifmann ; from wif, female, wife + mann, human being, man: rounding of vowel due to influenced, influence of the initial w-
- of or characteristic of a woman or women; feminine
- female: a woman scientist
the little woman
the other woman
- An adult female human.
- Women considered as a group; womankind: “Woman feels the invidious distinctions of sex exactly as the black man does those of color” (Elizabeth Cady Stanton).
- An adult female human belonging to a specified occupation, group, nationality, or other category. Often used in combination: an Englishwoman; congresswoman; a saleswoman.
- A female servant or subordinate.
- Informal a. A wife.
Origin of womanMiddle English, from Old English wimman, variant of wīfman : wīf, woman + man, person; see man.
(third-person singular simple present womans, present participle womaning, simple past and past participle womaned)
From Middle English woman, wimman, wifman, from Old English wīfmann (“woman, female servant”, literally “female person, female human being”), equivalent to wife + man. Compare Dutch vrouwmens (“wife”, literally “woman-person”). Compare also West Frisian frommes (“woman, girl”)(from frou and minske, literally "woman human-being"), Dutch vrouwspersoon (“woman”), German Weibsperson (“female person”), and dialectal German Fraumensch ("woman", literally "woman human-being").
From the noun woman.