- A poison that will cause you to become very ill is an example of something that would be described as toxic.
- A relationship that is very bad for your mental health is an example of something that would be described as toxic.
- of, affected by, or caused by a toxin, or poison
- acting as a poison; poisonous
Origin of toxicMedieval Latin toxicus ; from Classical Latin toxicum, a poison ; from Classical Greek toxicon, a poison, origin, originally , poison in which arrows were dipped ; from toxicos, of or for a bow ; from toxon, a bow
- Of, relating to, or caused by a toxin or other poison: a toxic condition; toxic hepatitis.
- Capable of causing injury or death, especially by chemical means; poisonous: toxic industrial waste.
- a. Extremely risky or harmful, as a debt for which the borrower is in default and the collateral has lost so much value that its sale cannot cover the amount of the loan.b. Causing social tension or unpleasantness: a toxic personality.
Origin of toxicLate Latin toxicus, from Latin toxicum, poison, from Greek toxikon, poison for arrows, poison, from neuter of toxikos, of a bow, from toxon, bow, from Old Persian *taxša-, an arrow.
(comparative more toxic, superlative most toxic)