Variant of theory
- Obsolete a mental viewing; contemplation
- a speculative idea or plan as to how something might be done
- a systematic statement of principles involved: the theory of equations in mathematics
- a formulation of apparent relationships or underlying principles of certain observed phenomena which has been verified to some degree
- that branch of an art or science consisting in a knowledge of its principles and methods rather than in its practice; pure, as opposed to applied, science, etc.
- popularly a mere conjecture, or guess
Origin of theory; from French or LL: French théorie ; from Late Latin theoria ; from Classical Greek theōria, a looking at, contemplation, speculation, theory ; from theōrein: see theorem