- Surpass is defined as to go beyond, exceed or excel.
- An example of to surpass is running a marathon far ahead of the other runners.
- An example of to surpass is a student getting much better grades than the rest of their classmates.
- to excel or be superior to
- to exceed in quantity, degree, amount, etc.
- to go beyond the limit, capacity, range, etc. of: riches surpassing belief
Origin: MFr surpasser from sur- (see sur-) plush passer, to pass
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
transitive verb sur·passed, sur·pass·ing, sur·pass·es
- To be beyond the limit, powers, or capacity of; transcend: misery that surpasses comprehension.
- To be or go beyond, as in degree or quality; exceed. See Synonyms at excel.
Origin: French surpasser, from Old French, to transgress : sur-, sur- + passer, pass; see pass.