- To exceed is defined as to go beyond an expectation or to be or do more than expected.
An example of exceed is when you hope to get a B and you get an A.
exceed definition by Webster's New World
- to go or be beyond (a limit, limiting regulation, measure, etc.): to exceed a speed limit
- to be more than or greater than; surpass; outdo: to exceed one's expectations
Origin: Middle English exceden ; from Old French exceder ; from Classical Latin excedere ; from ex-, out, beyond plush cedere, to go: see cede
exceed definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb ex·ceed·ed, ex·ceed·ing, ex·ceeds
- To extend beyond or outside of: The river exceeded its banks.
- To be greater than; surpass: “a horror of the spirit that cannot be exceeded at the hour of birth or death” (Robert Louis Stevenson).
- To go beyond the limits of: exceeded my allowance. See Synonyms at excel.
Origin: Middle English exceden, from Old French exceder, from Latin excēdere : ex-, ex- + cēdere, to go; see ked- in Indo-European roots.