- (idiomatic) To exceed the allotted time.
- The previous presentation ran over and ours had to start late.
- To cross by running
- The athletes must run over the bridge to reach the finish line.
- (idiomatic) To drive over, causing injury or death.
- Can you believe somebody would just run over a cat like that?
- (idiomatic) To briefly describe
- Before we start the project, let's just run over who is doing what.
- (idiomatic) To practice quickly, briefly.
- You'd better run over your statement before going on the platform.
- To overflow
- The bath water nearly ran over.
- (rugby) To score a try
- The verb and the particle are generally inseparable, even when the object is a pronoun.
- However in the sense of "to drive over", the pair is usually separated: An old lady in a tiny car ran him over the other day.