Informal a passing by; esp., an intentional disregard or slight: chiefly in give (or get) the go-by to slight (or be slighted)
An intentional slight; a snub.
(third-person singular simple present goes by, present participle going by, simple past went by, past participle gone by)
- (idiomatic) To pass or go past without much interaction
- I like to sit and watch the world go by
- (idiomatic) to be called, to use as a name
- His full name is Ernest Tinkleton, but he goes by the name of Ernie.
- To follow; to assume as true for the purposes of making a decision, taking an action, etc.
- I'm only going by what my teacher said.