- The definition of a stickler is someone who adheres tightly to a set of rules or principles.
A teacher who gives you detention if you are even a minute late is an example of someone who is a stickler for tardiness.
stickler definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a person who insists on the strict observance of something specified: usually with for: a stickler for discipline
- ☆ Informal something puzzling or difficult to solve
Origin: see stickle
stickler definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- One who insists on something unyieldingly: a stickler for neatness.
- Something puzzling or difficult.