The definition of sometimes is something that occurs once in a while.
If it only rains occasionally, this is an example of when it rains sometimes.
- at times; on various occasions; occasionally
- Obsolete formerly
- At times; now and then.
- Obsolete At some previous time; formerly.
- On certain occasions, or in certain circumstances, but not always. [from 16th c.]
- Sometimes I sit and think, but mostly I just sit.
- 1621, Robert Burton, The Anatomy of Melancholy, II.3.7:
- they detract, scoffe, and raile (saith one), and bark at me on every side; but I, like that Albanian dog sometimes given to Alexander for a present, vindico me ab illis solo contemptu; I lie still, and sleep, vindicate myself by contempt alone.