- Somewhat means to some extent.
An example of somewhat used as an adverb is in the sentence, "He is somewhat hungry," which means that he is not starving, but he is not full either.
- Somewhat is defined as to some degree or amount.
An example of somewhat used as a pronoun is in the sentence, "The room was somewhat of a mess," which means that the room was a little messy.
- To a limited extent or degree.
- The crowd was somewhat larger than expected, perhaps due to the good weather. The decision to shave or not is a somewhat personal one.
- (now archaic) Something.
- More or less; a certain quantity or degree; a part, more or less; something.
- A person or thing of importance; a somebody.