- The definition of sodden is something soggy or soaked.
- An example of sodden is a cake that hasn't been baked long enough.
- An example of sodden is a dripping wet sponge.
- Sodden is defined as to make something soaked or soggy.
An example of sodden is leaving lawn sprinklers on all night; to sodden the lawn.
sodden definition by Webster's New World
- Archaic boiled or steeped
- filled with moisture; soaked through
- heavy or soggy from improper baking or cooking: said as of bread
- dull or stupefied, as from liquor
Origin: obsolete past participle of seethe
- soddenly adverb
sodden definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Thoroughly soaked; saturated.
- Soggy and heavy from improper cooking; doughy.
- Expressionless, stupid, or dull, especially from drink.
- Unimaginative; torpid.
Origin: Middle English soden, boiled, past participle of sethen, to boil; see seethe.
- sodˈden·ly adverb
- sodˈden·ness noun