- An example of smitten is for a lightning bolt to have knocked down a tree yesterday.
- An example of smitten is for someone to have fallen very much in love with someone.
Smitten is defined as to have struck, hit or blow with a heavy force, or to be very much in love.
A past participle of smite.
(comparative more smitten, superlative most smitten)
- Made irrationally enthusiastic.
- I was really smitten by the color combination, and soon repainted the entire house.
- In love.
- He was totally smitten by the librarian.
- Past participle of smite
Old English verb smittian "to pollute", cognate with German schmitzen, to pollute, and through Middle Low German with Danish smitte, to infect.