- Present participle of smite.
- The act of one who smites.
Variant of smite
transitive verbsmote, smitten or smote, smiting
- Now Rare
- to hit or strike hard
- to bring into a specified condition by or as by a blow: to smite someone dead
- to defeat, punish, destroy, or kill
- to strike or attack with powerful or disastrous effect
- to affect strongly and suddenly: with some feeling: smitten with dread
- to disquiet mentally; distress: smitten by conscience
- to strike or impress favorably; inspire with love: smitten with her charms
Origin of smiteMiddle English smiten ; from Old English smitan, akin to German schmeissen, to throw ; from Indo-European base an unverified form smē-, to smear, smear on, stroke on
Now Rare to hit or strike hard