side effectside effect
- something that occurs incidentally
- an incidental and, often, undesirable effect resulting from a medication or medical treatment
A peripheral or secondary effect, especially an undesirable secondary effect of a drug or therapy.
(plural side effects)
- (idiomatic) An unintended consequence of any action in addition to the intended consequence of that action.
- (idiomatic, medicine) An adverse effect, an unintended consequence of a drug or therapy; usually not a beneficial effect.
- (computing) A change in state caused by a function call (typically "side-effect").
- Eiffel is somewhat purist about insisting that functions have no side effects.
- Adjectives often applied to "side effect": mild, moderate, serious, severe, dangerous, unpleasant, debilitating, negative, positive, nasty, bad, horrible, terrible, painful, unexpected, unintended, strong, obvious, etc.
- Alternative spelling of side effect.