A sign for a fallout shelter.
- When you get a divorce and, as a result, your friends have to choose sides and you are lonely, these are examples of the fallout of the divorce.
- When a nuclear bomb is dropped on a city, the radioactive particles that remain in the air are an example of the fallout.
- ⌂ the descent to earth of radioactive particles, as after a nuclear explosion
- ⌂ these particles
- the negative consequences of any action or decision
- a. The slow descent of minute particles of debris in the atmosphere following an explosion, especially the descent of radioactive debris after a nuclear explosion.b. The particles that descend in this fashion.
- An incidental result or side effect: “Other social trends also have psychiatric fallout, and the people who suffer can't afford treatment” (Martha Farnsworth Riche).
- The event of small airborne particles falling to the ground in significant quantities as a result of major industrial activity, volcano eruption, sandstorm, nuclear explosion, etc.
- The particles themselves.
- On 26 April 1986 the reactor number four at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant located in the Soviet Union near Pripyat in Ukraine exploded. Further explosions and the resulting fire sent a plume of highly radioactive fallout into the atmosphere and over an extensive geographical area.
- A negative side effect; an undesirable or unexpected consequence.
- Psychological fallout in the shadow of terrorism, title of an article by Dr. Abraham Twerski, M.D. in .
- (rare) A declined offer in a sales transaction when acceptance was presumed.
- (rare) The person who declines such an offer.