Fidget Spinners became popular very quickly but they might be a short lived fad.
An example of short lived is a romance where the couple broke up after two dates.
Origin of short-livedshort (long)-lived
Usage Note: The pronunciation (-līvd) is etymologically correct since the compound is derived from the noun life, rather than from the verb live. But the pronunciation (-lĭvd) is by now so common that it cannot be considered an error. In our 2005 survey, 90 percent of the Usage Panel found (-lĭvd) acceptable and 75 percent found (-līvd) acceptable.
(comparative more shortlived, superlative most shortlived)
- Alternative spelling of short-lived.
(comparative shorter-lived, superlative shortest-lived)
- The pronunciation /ÊƒÉ”É¹tËˆlaÉªvd/ (the second syllable rhyming with hived) is more consistent with the etymology (since the term comes from the noun life rather than the verb live), and was formerly more common; however, the pronunciation /ÊƒÉ”É¹tËˆlÉªvd/ (the second syllable pronounced as the verb lived) is more common today.
From short + life + -ed.
- Last but not least, if you think your child's interest in Scooby Doo might be short-lived, check out eBay or Craig's List for second-hand nightgowns so that you can save money indulging her until the next infatuation comes along.
- Since the divorce petition deals with the property settlement and child support, unless the marriage was a very short-lived one and the couple has no children or significant property, hiring a lawyer is the more prudent choice.
- Stepping reflex: Although it may appear an infant is trying to walk when he's held in a standing position and his feet touch a surface, this stepping reflex is short-lived and usually disappears by the time he's two months-old.
- While major depressive episodes may be acute (intense but short-lived), dysthymic disorder is an ongoing, chronic depression that lasts two or more years (one or more years in children) and has an average duration of 16 years.
- Hollywood nuptials are usually bigger productions than movies themselves, and though a lot of star marriages are short-lived, their celebrity wedding pictures will remain forever printed and published somewhere or another.