transient[tran′s̸hənt, -sē ənt; -z̸hənt, -zē ənt]
- Transient is defined as someone or something that is temporary or staying for a short amount of time.
An example of transient is the short duration of the hurricane season in Florida.
- The definition of a transient is someone who is just passing through somewhere or isn't staying long.
An example of transient is a honeymoon couple staying at a resort.
- passing away with time; not permanent; temporary; transitory
- passing quickly or soon; fleeting; ephemeral
- ☆ staying only for a short time: the transient population at resorts
Origin of transientClassical Latin transiens, present participle of transire: see transit
- ☆ a transient person or thing: transients at a hotel
- Elec. a temporary component of a current, resulting from a voltage surge, a change from one steady-state condition to another, etc.
- Passing with time; transitory: “the transient beauty of youth” (Lydia M. Child).
- Remaining in a place only a brief time: transient laborers.
- Physics Decaying with time, especially as a simple exponential function of time.
- One that is transient, especially a hotel guest or boarder who stays for only a brief time.
- Physics A transient phenomenon or property, especially a transient electric current.
Origin of transientAlteration of Latin trānsiēns, trānseunt-, present participle of trānsīre, to go over : trāns-, over; see trans– + īre, to go; see ei- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more transient, superlative most transient)
- Passing or disappearing with time; transitory.
- a transient pleasure
- Remaining for only a brief time.
- a transient view of a landscape
- (physics) Decaying with time, especially exponentially.
- (mathematics, stochastic processes, of a state) having a positive probability of being left and never being visited again.
- Occasional; isolated; one-off; individual.
- Passing through; passing from one person to another.
- (philosophy) Operating beyond itself; having an external effect.
- Something which is transient.
- (physics) A transient phenomenon, especially an electric current; a very brief surge.
- (acoustics) A relatively loud, non-repeating signal in an audio waveform which occurs very quickly, such as the attack of a snare drum.
- A person who passes through a place for a short time; a traveller; a migrant worker
- An unhoused person