- Shortly is defined as briefly, curtly, abruptly or soon.
- When you briefly summarize a book in a letter, this is an example of when you explain shortly what the book was about.
- When someone asks you a question and you snap "no," in an abrupt and curt way, this is an example of when you speak shortly.
- When you are going to be leaving in just about a minute, this is an example of when you are leaving shortly.
shortly definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- in a few words; briefly
- in a short time; soon
- abruptly and rudely; curtly
shortly definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- In a short time; soon.
- In a few words; concisely.
- In an abrupt manner; curtly.