- in a few words; briefly
- in a short time; soon
- abruptly and rudely; curtly
Vance reassured his wife that he would be arriving to the airport shortly as he had just finished packing and left the house.
- When you briefly summarize a book in a letter, this is an example of when you explain shortly what the book was about.
- When someone asks you a question and you snap "no," in an abrupt and curt way, this is an example of when you speak shortly.
- When you are going to be leaving in just about a minute, this is an example of when you are leaving shortly.
Shortly is defined as briefly, curtly, abruptly or soon.
- In a short time; soon.
- In a few words; concisely.
- In an abrupt manner; curtly.
(comparative more shortly, superlative most shortly)
short +"Ž -ly
- I haven't seen them since shortly after the two of you left to ski.
- The snow started shortly after they left and the wind blew it horizontal.
- Shortly after he came into possession of large estates left by Catherine de' Medici, from one of which he took his title of count of Auvergne.
- "Alex should be home shortly," she said.
- Shortly after nine, Randy rose to take Jen home.