- The definition of long lived is something that goes on or persists for an extended period of time.
An example of a long lived thought is something you believe for years and years.
Origin of long-livedlong + -lived
- Having a long life: a long-lived aunt.
- Lasting a long time; persistent: a long-lived rumor.
- Functioning a long time; durable: a long-lived light bulb.
Origin of long-livedMiddle English long-lifed : long, long; see long1 + life, life; see life + -ed, having; see –ed3.
(comparative more longlived, superlative most longlived)
- Alternative form of long-lived.
(comparative more long-lived, superlative most long-lived)
- The pronunciation /laɪvd/ (rhyming with hived) is more consistent with the etymology (since the term comes from the noun life rather than the verb live), and was formerly more common; however, the pronunciation /lɪvd/ (the second syllable pronounced as the verb lived) is more common today.