Senile is defined as memory loss or confusion as a result of old age.
When an old person is no longer able to remember things, this can be an example of someone who issenile.
- of, typical of, or resulting from old age: now chiefly medical
- showing the marked deterioration often accompanying old age, esp. mental impairment characterized by confusion, memory loss, etc.
- Geol. nearing the end of an erosion cycle
Origin of senileClassical Latin senilis ; from senex, old: see senate
- a. Relating to or having diminished cognitive function, as when memory is impaired, because of old age.b. Being a disease or condition whose cause is primarily advanced age: senile cataracts.
- Geology At the end of an erosion cycle: senile soil.
Origin of senileLatin sen&imacron;lis, proper to or characteristic of old people, aged, from senex, sen-, old; see sen- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more senile, superlative most senile)