The definition of selective is choosing carefully.
An example of something selective is a college that accepts only the top candidates.
- of or characterized by selection
- having the power of selecting; tending to select
- tending to select carefully; fastidious; discriminating
- Radio excluding oscillations on all frequencies except the one desired
- Of or characterized by selection; discriminating.
- Empowered or tending to select.
- Electronics Able to reject frequencies other than the one selected or tuned.
- se·lec′tive·ness, se·lec′tiv′i·ty
(comparative more selective, superlative most selective)
- Of or pertaining to the process of selection.
- (of a person) choosy, fussy or discriminating when selecting.
- He's very selective and spent hours in the store choosing a new shirt.
- (chiefly US, not comparable) Having the authority or capability to make a selection.
- In the USA, military conscription is controlled by the Selective Service.