- The definition of a selection is a person or thing that's been picked or are available to pick.
- An example of a selection is a cat chosen from a litter of kittens.
- An example of a selection is a litter of kittens to choose from at the humane society.
A woman holds a selection of kittens.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- a selecting or being selected
- a person or thing chosen
- a group or collection of these
- a variety from which to choose: a selection of colors
- Biol. any process, natural or artificial, by which certain organisms or characters are favored or perpetuated in, or as if in, preference to others
Origin: L selectio
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. The act or an instance of selecting or the fact of having been selected.b. One that is selected.
- A carefully chosen or representative collection of people or things. See Synonyms at choice.
- A literary or musical text chosen for reading or performance.
- Biology A natural or artificial process that favors or induces survival and perpetuation of one kind of organism over others that die or fail to produce offspring.
selection - Medical Definition