- Modification is a change that is made, or is the act of changing something.
- When a plan is in place and you make a slight change to the plan such as building a wall one inch taller, this is an example of modification.
- The small change you make such as building a wall one inch taller is also an example of a modification.
modification definition by Webster's New World
a modifying or being modified; specif.,
- a partial or slight change in form
- a product of such a change
- a slight reduction; moderation
- a qualification or limitation of meaning
- Biol. a change in an organism caused by its environment and not inheritable
- Linguis. a change in the form of a morpheme (Ex.: foot, feet; bath, bathe)
Origin: Middle French ; from Classical Latin modificatio ; from past participle of modificare: see modify
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- modificatory adjective
modification definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- The act of modifying or the condition of being modified.
- A result of modifying.
- A small alteration, adjustment, or limitation.
- Biology Any of the changes in an organism caused by environment or activity and not genetically transmissable to offspring.
- Linguistics a. A change undergone by a word that is borrowed from another language.b. A phonological change undergone by a word or morpheme when it is used in a construction, as the change of will to 'll in they'll.
- modˈi·fi·caˌtor noun
- modˈi·fi·caˌto·ry , modˈi·fi·caˌtive adjective
modification - Medical Definition
The American Heritage® Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Any of the changes in an organism that are caused by environment or activity and are not genetically transmissable to offspring.
modification - Science Definition
A change in an organism that results from external influences and cannot be inherited.