- Modification is a change that is made, or is the act of changing something.
- When a plan is in place and you make a slight change to the plan such as building a wall one inch taller, this is an example of modification.
- The small change you make such as building a wall one inch taller is also an example of a modification.
- a partial or slight change in form
- a product of such a change
- a slight reduction; moderation
- a qualification or limitation of meaning
- Biol. a change in an organism caused by its environment and not inheritable
- Linguis. a change in the form of a morpheme (Ex.: foot, feet; bath, bathe)
Origin: MFr from Classical Latin modificatio from past participle of modificare: see modify
- modificatory adjective
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The act of modifying or the condition of being modified.
- A result of modifying.
- A small alteration, adjustment, or limitation.
- Biology Any of the changes in an organism caused by environment or activity and not genetically transmissable to offspring.
- Linguistics a. A change undergone by a word that is borrowed from another language.b. A phonological change undergone by a word or morpheme when it is used in a construction, as the change of will to 'll in they'll.
- modˈi·fi·caˌtor noun
- modˈi·fi·caˌto·ry , modˈi·fi·caˌtive adjective
modification - Medical Definition
modification - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.