- the principle that living organisms originate only from other living organisms closely similar to themselves
- the generation of organisms in this way
Origin of biogenesisbio- + -genesis
- The principle that living organisms develop only from other living organisms and not from nonliving matter.
- Generation of living organisms from other living organisms.
- See biosynthesis.
- The supposed recurrence of the evolutionary stages of a species during the embryonic development and differentiation of a member of that species. Also called recapitulation.
- bi′o·ge·net′ic , bi′o·ge·net′i·cal
bio- + -genesis