- that discriminates; distinguishing
- able to make or see fine distinctions; discerning
- Able to recognize or draw fine distinctions or judgments: a discriminating collector of fine books.
- Serving to distinguish; distinctive: a discriminating characteristic.
- Marked by or showing prejudice; discriminatory.
(comparative more discriminating, superlative most discriminating)
- Present participle of discriminate.
Variant of discriminate
transitive verbdiscriminated, discriminating
- to constitute a difference between; differentiate
- to recognize the difference between; distinguish
Origin of discriminate; from Classical Latin discriminatus, past participle of discriminare, to divide, distinguish ; from discrimen, division, distinction ; from discernere: see discern
- to see the difference (between things); distinguish
- to be discerning
- to make distinctions in treatment; show partiality (in favor of) or prejudice (against)
involving discrimination; distinguishing carefully