discriminating definition by Webster's New World
- that discriminates; distinguishing
- able to make or see fine distinctions; discerning
discriminating definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. Able to recognize or draw fine distinctions; perceptive.b. Showing careful judgment or fine taste: a discriminating collector of rare books; a dish for the discriminating palate.
- Separating into distinct parts or components; analytical.
- Serving to distinguish; distinctive: a discriminating characteristic.
- Marked by or showing bias; discriminatory.
- dis·crimˈi·natˌing·ly adverb
Variant of discriminate
- to constitute a difference between; differentiate
- to recognize the difference between; distinguish
Origin: ; from Classical Latin discriminatus, past participle of discriminare, to divide, distinguish ; from discrimen, division, distinction ; from discernere: see discern
- to see the difference (between things); distinguish
- to be discerning
- to make distinctions in treatment; show partiality (in favor of) or prejudice (against)