- of, showing, or depending on a difference or differences: differential rates
- constituting or making a specific difference; distinguishing: differential qualities
- producing differing effects or results, as by the use of differing components: a differential gear
- Math. of or involving differentials
Origin of differentialMedieval Latin differentialis from Classical Latin differentia: see difference
- a differentiating amount, degree, factor, etc.: differentials in salary
- an infinitesimal difference between two consecutive values of a variable quantity
- the derivative of a function multiplied by a small increment of the independent variable
- Mech. a differential gear
- Of, relating to, or showing a difference.
- Constituting or making a difference; distinctive.
- Dependent on or making use of a specific difference or distinction.
- Mathematics Of or relating to differentiation.
- Involving differences in speed or direction of motion.
- Mathematics a. An infinitesimal increment in a variable.b. The product of the derivative of a function of one variable and the increment of the independent variable.
- A differential gear.
- A difference between comparable things, as in wage rate or in price.
(comparative more differential, superlative most differential)
- the differential gear in an automobile etc
- a qualitative or quantitative difference between similar or comparable things
- (mathematics) an infinitesimal change in a variable, or the result of differentiation
- One of two coils of conducting wire so related to one another or to a magnet or armature common to both, that one coil produces polar action contrary to that of the other.
- A form of conductor used for dividing and distributing the current to a series of electric lamps so as to maintain equal action in all.