- The definition of sedentary is someone or something that doesn't move much.
An example of sedentary is a person who sits on the couch all day and never exercises.
This man is sedentary.
sedentary definition by Webster's New World
- of or marked by much sitting about and little travel
- keeping one seated much of the time: a sedentary job
- remaining in one locality; not migratory: said of birds, etc.
- fixed to one spot, as a barnacle
Origin: French sédentaire ; from Classical Latin sedentarius ; from sedens, present participle of sedere, to sit
sedentary definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Characterized by or requiring much sitting: a sedentary job.
- Accustomed to sitting or to taking little exercise.
- Remaining or living in one area, as certain birds; not migratory.
- Attached to a surface and not moving freely, as a barnacle.
Origin: French sédentaire, from Old French, from Latin sedentārius, from sedēns, sedent-, present participle of sedēre, to sit; see sed- in Indo-European roots.
- sedˌen·tarˈi·ly adverb
- sedˈen·tarˌi·ness noun