- attached directly by its base
- permanently fixed; immobile
- Bot. having no pedicel or peduncle; attached directly to the main stem, as the flower and leaves of a trillium plant
Origin of sessileClassical Latin sessilis ; from sessus, past participle of sedere, to sit
- Permanently attached or fixed; not free-moving: sessile marine invertebrates.
- Stalkless and attached directly at the base: sessile leaves.
Origin of sessileLatin sessilis, low, of sitting, from sessus, past participle of sedēre, to sit; see sed- in Indo-European roots.
- (not free to move): mobile