- The definition of stationary is not moving or not movable.
An example of stationary is a bike at the gym that is attached to the floor.
stationary definition by Webster's New World
- not moving or not movable; fixed or still
- unchanging in condition, value, etc.; not increasing or decreasing
- not migratory or itinerant
Origin: Middle English stacionarye ; from Classical Latin stationarius ; from statio: see station
stationary definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. Not moving.b. Not capable of being moved; fixed.
- Unchanging: a stationary sound.
Origin: Middle English stacionarie, from Old French stationnaire, from Medieval Latin statiōnārius, from Latin, belonging to a military station, from statiō, statiōn-, station; see station.