An example of stationary is a bike at the gym that is attached to the floor.
- not moving or not movable; fixed or still
- unchanging in condition, value, etc.; not increasing or decreasing
- not migratory or itinerant
Origin of stationaryMiddle English stacionarye from Classical Latin stationarius from statio: see station
- a. Not moving.b. Not capable of being moved; fixed.
- Unchanging: a stationary sound.
Origin of stationaryMiddle English stacionarie from Old French stationnaire from Medieval Latin statiōnārius from Latin belonging to a military station from statiō statiōn- station ; see station .
(comparative more stationary, superlative most stationary)
From Latin stationarius, from statio, ultimately from stÅ.