An example of stationary is a bike at the gym that is attached to the floor.
- not moving or not movable; fixed or still
- unchanging in condition, value, etc.; not increasing or decreasing
- not migratory or itinerant
Origin of stationaryMiddle English stacionarye ; from Classical Latin stationarius ; from statio: see station
- a. Not moving.b. Not capable of being moved; fixed.
- Unchanging: a stationary sound.
Origin of stationaryMiddle English stacionarie, from Old French stationnaire, from Medieval Latin stati&omacron;narius, from Latin, belonging to a military station, from stati&omacron;, stati&omacron;n-, station; see station.
(comparative more stationary, superlative most stationary)
From Latin stationarius, from statio, ultimately from stÅ.