A woman immobile after surgery.
- A person who is bedridden is an example of someone who is immobile.
- A huge piece of furniture that is too heavy to move is an example of something that is immobile.
The definition of immobile is something that is not moving or that is incapable of being moved.
- not movable; firmly set or placed; stable
- not moving or changing; motionless
Origin of immobileMiddle English inmobill from Old French immobile from Classical Latin immobilis: see in- and mobile
- Immovable; fixed: an immobile rock formation.
- Not moving; motionless: The patient in the coma was immobile.
- Not very mobile or agile; capable of moving only slowly: an immobile quarterback.
From Old French immobile, from Latin immōbilis.